Goals of Therapy
While I believe that goals must be collaborative and largely dictated by the client, I strive to incorporate the following goals into our treatment plan:
- Restore healthful eating and exercising patterns (eliminate restricting, bingeing or purging behaviors, eliminate over-exercising).
- Heal the clients relationship with eating their body shape and weight through promoting acceptance of their natural weight and shape.
- "Take the emotions OFF of the food!"
- Gain insight into the underlying issues of your eating disorder that continue to promote disordered thoughts and behaviors.
- Internalize the concepts of recovery
- Identify triggers for relapse
- Increase your communication skills, with emphasis on assertiveness and empowerment
- Improve your family relationships and reduce conflict
- Develop a sense of meaning and purpose that isn't dependent on the food you eat, the amount you exercise or the size of your clothing.
- Improve your self-esteem and body image
- Alleviate depression and anxiety
- Anticipate and cope with stress
- Address substance use dependency if indicated
- Establish a lifelong plan for recovery and wellness
- Integrate and embrace the biological, emotional, spiritual, and physical aspects of yourself
- Live a life filled with joy as you were meant to do!